In my previous post about the N8's WebDav Client, I had used the Barracuda WebDav Server which unfortunately is not free anymore. I saw many people complaining about this and decided to write a help guide to setup a Free WebDav Server using Apache. This is a detailed tutorial on how to setup a free webdav server using Apache which can then be accessed over Wifi using N8's inbuilt WebDav client.
1. Apache HTTP Server for Windows - DOWNLOAD
2. Some patience :-)
1. Download and Install the Apache Server software. Follow the screens as shown below.
2. Now, we need to make some configuration changes. Open the following location 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2' and create a folder called 'var'.
3. Now go to the following folder location - 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf' and edit the file 'httpd.conf'.
i) Uncomment the following lines from the file - Remove the preceding '#' from these if it exists
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
LoadModule setenvif_module modules/mod_setenvif.so
LoadModule alias_module modules/mod_alias.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
LoadModule authn_file_module modules/mod_authn_file.so
ii) Search for the term 'Listen 80' and change it to 'Listen 8888'.
iii) Search for the term '#ServerName ANYTHING:80' and change it to 'ServerName ANYTHING:8888'
4. Now go to the following folder location - 'C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\conf\extra' and edit the file 'httpd-dav.conf'.
i) Search for the line - 'Alias /uploads "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/uploads"'
Change it to - 'Alias /webdav "<folder path that you wish to share over webdav server"'
Alias /webdav "E:/" shares the E drive on your PC and all the contents inside.
Alias /webdav "D:/" shares the D drive on your PC and all the contents inside.
Alias /webdav "E:/Movies" shares the Movies folder in E drive on your PC and all the contents inside.
ii) Search for the line - '<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/uploads">' and change it to the same folder path as used above. Example - <Directory "E:/">
5. From the location - C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2\bin
Run this command - htdigest -c "C:/Program Files/Apache Software Foundation/Apache2.2/user.passwd" DAV-upload admin
Simply copy this command and paste in the address bar of the folder and hit the ENTER key. Provide the password to be used for your webdav server. Note: You can also run this command from the MS-DOS Command prompt in older Windows OS.
6. Restart Apache. Open Apache Monitor from the task bar.
7. Add the port 8888 as an exception to windows firewall so that N8 can access the WebDav server via this port.
8. Now map this Apache WebDav Server as a network drive on Nokia N8 using the following configuration details.
WebDAV URL - http://192.168.0.101:8888/webdav
Username - admin
Password - the one you put on running the DOS command in the step 5.
Access Point - Your WiFi
Name - Anything
I hope this guide helps you and you are able to successfully setup the WebDav Server. Apache is a completely free software and used everywhere. In case you need any help, please provide full details of your problem at the Nokia N8 Forum.